Friday, April 08, 2011

the aging process

I distinctly remember that there was something I so badly wanted to blog about yesterday, but I can't remember what it is for the life of me! My memory is really getting as old as me!! And it's these small things that make me fear growing older.

They say age is just a number, but is it really? I used to think it's ok being mid-twenties, as long as I'm young at heart (haha) but my body is physically telling me I'm old! My memory is getting worse, my back aches after a night of mahjong, I can't go without sleep for a day without feeling tired and my knees hurt when I over exert them!

Totally sounding like an old woman already right? And as if those signs of aging are not bad enough, the people around me make it hard for me to live in my 18 year old world anymore. Of course, it's good that they do coz someone like me definitely needs a reality check! But with all my close friends getting married one by one and one of them even pregnant (congrats Alifya! cant wait to see your kid!!), I suddenly feel scared that I'm.. A grown-up.

When I was younger, I always thought all grown-ups were smart and sensible by default. Like, they hit 21 and are immediately instilled with a sense of responsibility and direction. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen that way. At least not for me. I feel like I'm still stuck with an 18 year-old's mindset and not much has changed.

But I guess eventually, it's actually the experiences we go through which make us wiser (if we choose to learn from them!) and the responsibility part just has to come with being wiser. And I'm lucky that I'm blessed with a great family and friends who are always so supportive while at the same time, advising me on the stuff I should do.

So although I dread this aging thing, life is still good. Can't say the same about my back though..

No comments: